Thursday, June 23, 2011

I Tested It for You: UltraAVX Screen

Yours truly received free tickets through my mail to attend a screening in an UltraAVX screening room. Here are the thoughts that came to me as I watched Super 8.

However, before I give you an idea of how it looks like to see it, here are a few things you should know about the UltraAVX system:

Q: What does UltraAVX mean?

R: Ultra Audio Visual Experience.

Q: Who owns it?

R: Cineplex, a movie theatre chain in Canada.

***

Thoughts

Gone are the days when you saw grainy and dark images on a 35 mm screen. Most screens I've seen in Montreal now use a digital screen, which gives a clearer image. Because I haven't tried a 3D screen or an IMAX screen, I can't make any comparisons.

What I can say though, is that the image on an UltraAVX screen is very clear, even nocturnal scenes. It's like watching a huge HD television in the dark. In addition to that, your ears get banged during the action sequences of a film. So, just imagine how it feels like to see a train accident and an explosion. In fact, the sound was so loud that I thought I was actually witnessing a train ramming a car in Super 8.

However, despite the undeniable quality of the images, the UltraAVX screen doesn't necessarily match the Blu-Ray as you can see it on an HD television. In fact, the images of an UltraAVX screen aren't necessarily as quick (or fluid) as those of a Blu-Ray disc on an HD television.

In short, I won't be repeating the experience on a regular basis, even though the seats in an UltraAVX screening room are more comfortable than the average seats you're used to.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Subscriptions

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP