Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Very Distinct (and Backwarded) Television

Quebec's television industry (i.e. the trade unions behind it) needs to open its arms to online streaming once and for all.


Just like my fellow countryman Nicolas Doucet, not only I rarely watch Quebecker TV series. Besides finding too boring most Quebecker TV series, I don't have the time to sit in front of a television to watch it due to my personal schedule. Although our news and public affairs shows can be seen online, our TV industry hasn't adapted itself to nowadays' way of life.

Quebec, unlike English Canada (read: also the whole world), still didn't adopt online streaming to show TV series. Obviously, this lagging is due to the fact that the negotiations between the Union des artistes (UdA) and the Association des de films et de télévision du Québec (AFTQ) didn't come to an end. Needless to say that many people believe that online streaming is the future of television and many channels (especially CBC) understood it.

I may probably repeat (in my own words) what Nicolas and other people wrote in their post, but I do believe that online streaming has more advantages than disadvantages.

The first of them is that online streaming is adaptable to any person's schedule. For instance, during the school year that I just went through, I always didn't have the time to watch The Border (a fictitious show about Canadian counter-terrorism) or jPod (a comedy about video game designers trying to make the most violent video game ever).

Well, guess what? Thanks to CBC's brightness to use online streaming, I could watch these two shows online on any day for free. Besides, the best of it is that I didn't get bothered by useless advertisements! Wow, that's like watching a TV series on DVD without necessarily having it! Isn't that wonderful, guys?

Secondly, online streaming will definitely revolutionize the way a show's rating is calculated. Instead of earning a revenue by counting the number of people who watched any given show on the television (again, you must respect the schedule, must you not?), polling companies will also include the number of people who watched that given show online. And who cares if Internet surfers don't respect a show's schedule, because broadcasting channels can catch up online with people who either: 1) don't have the time to follow a show's schedule (just like me) or 2) just want to watch that show out of curiosity.

Finally, I don't think that Quebecker Internet surfers are against online streaming. If you ask me if I'm surprised that Quebec didn't fully adopt online streaming because of trade unions, well let me tell you that I'm not surprised at all. I just want to hear unionists' arguments about why Quebec shouldn't join the whole world by adopting online streaming...

***

It may be hard for most of you to hear it, but I hardly see Quebec's television as my television even though I was born Quebecker. I'm going to hear some people say that "here in Quebec, we do some good television". There's probably no doubt about it, but how good can it be if it's not legally supported by the Internet? Well, when it comes to television I rather consider English Canada as my television (although it's not my first reflex to think in English). Ouch, I can't believe that I've kept that secret for one year!

Speaking about English Canada, now that I've seen The Englishman's Boy on DVD, I just can't wait to put my hands on the DVD of The Trojan Horse and MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Subscriptions

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP