Sunday, March 9, 2008

Some Immigrants Will Never Say These, Right?

With all the things we've heard about racism in Canada recently, no one ever dared to take a serious look at ethnic minorities themselves. Indeed, I recall reading a newspaper article saying that one French-Quebecker out of six (who testified at the Bouchard-Taylor Commission's hearings) were filled with hatred toward religious and ethnic minorities. Moreover, the article itself said that people from ethnic and religious minorities had an examplary behaviour.

Seriously, I really don't understand why white people are just so complacent with ethnic minorities, particularly with "visible" minorities. That blind complacency makes them believe that racism, in Canada, may only come from some white people, but never from ethnic minorities themselves. Speaking about that, my blogging colleague Philippe Giguère (from Shawinigan) even wrote to me once that there is an "emerging" racism from some ethnic minorities towards the majority.

From my personal life, here are a set of things that I've heard from various members of my family. So I'm sorry, Philippe, to tell you that I don't believe that racism from ethnic minorities is "emerging". To other readers, get ready, because these things will inevitably disgust you. This is one of the rare moment when I share with you a few things about my personal life.

***

Uncle T.: "I don't understand why most white people in the USA consider blacks as being true Americans."

***

Uncle B.: "I'm glad that my son went to Vietnam to marry a Vietnamese woman. Had he married a white one, I don't see how my son would have managed to live with someone who is fundamentally and racially unfit to live in a couple. [...] Again, I'm not a racist and you all know that Vietnamese people are better than white people when it comes to raising a family."

***

Uncle B.: "I'm not a racist! If I lived in the USA, I would have voted for Barrack Obama!"

***

Cousin N.: "It is not racist to say that Canada and Quebec don't have a culture of their own."

***

My mom who is yelling at my sister: "I don't want to see you hanging out with blacks, because all blacks are criminals!"

***

Dad: "Haitian immigrants are just a breed of criminals."

***

Dad: "South Africa is the wealthiest country of Africa because of its diamonds and its white population. Period."

***

Cousin S: "[If you compare a person of Asian heritage and Wayne Gretzky], it's normal to identify Gretzky as a Canadian, because he's white. Thus, a person of Asian heritage is not a Canadian [even if he has the Canadian citizenship]."

***

Sister: "There's nothing wrong with ethnic nationalism, because we're not in Third-World or Eastern countries; we're in Canada."

***

Sister: "The French soccer team (at the World Cup) is not representative of France. I mean look at it, most of the players are blacks and the captain is an Algerian."

***

Uncle Q: "People with mixed heritage living in Vietnam (i.e. those who were born from a French, a North African or American father) are not real Vietnamese!"

***

Dad: "The melting-pot is just a stupid idea."

***

Mom: "Don't marry a white or black person, because when we celebrate Christmas or other festivities, that person's incapacity to speak Vietnamese will make her/him unable to fit in the family. In the end, make sure that you marry someone of Vietnamese heritage and you'll not likely face the possibility to endure a divorce. [...] Obviously, your uncle's divorce (with a woman of Vietnamese heritage) is just an exception."

***

Mom: "I will not recognize your children as being my descendants if you give life to them with a white or black person. I mean, they're not 100% Vietnamese, so I'm not going to consider myself as their grandmother."

***

Dad: "Mixed marriages only create a life disorder, because your children will not be able to determine their identity."

***

Cousin P. "giving" an "advice" to my sister: "By the time you get your own pharmacy, don't hire any white person."

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Subscriptions

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP